World Protection Changes

Discussion in 'Feedback & General Suggestions' started by Markillion, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Markillion

Markillion Administrator Staff Member

Markillion
    We are currently looking into revamping or making changes to the PreciousStones system currently used to protect blocks in the Free world and wanted to let you guys make suggestions and gather feedback.

Upkeep taxes, Larger & Different Types of Stones
    The current general idea is to create larger land protection and separate it from stones that can be used for farming / money making systems like mob spawners. This will allow for larger overall bases but not larger farms. We can then also tax these zones separately.

Raiding
    We want to encourage raiding more on this iteration so we are currently planning on making chests breakable in all fields for now.

-
    Later on we want to add a system to give raiding an attack / defend type system. The general idea is once a Clan A is killed X amount of times by Clan B. Clan A would have a capture point like system at Clan A's base. If they are able to control that point within a X min window Clan A's fields will go down for a limited time.

That's the general idea but it's further down the line so if you have suggestions please post them.

Philip, Br0, Deubs and 2 others like this.
  2. Br0

Br0 New Member

Br0
    The raiding chest thing is a really good idea, more PvP events that encourage people to get in groups and fight would be ideal too.

Longer timer on the cap and a warp sign to it would be awesome as well.

3. Tut

Tut New Member

Tut_
    Love the ideas!

4. xForerunner

xForerunner Member

xForerunner
    I think the land protection pstones from the server last year were the best since it supported larger base building but for a hefty cost. A system like that would be ideal for me and others I assume, but are there any problems with using that system now?

5. Sly

Sly New Member

SlyCedix
    I love that raids are being encouraged, though I do feel like breakable chests somewhat clashes with the attack/defend mechanic. What is the incentive to capture someone's base if all you have to do is get inside to access their items? Why would you make a large base if all it took is a single hole somewhere to compromise every item you have?

I think a few goals must be accomplished to ensure that raiding doesn't just feel like factions:
    * Minor mistakes in construction, a saboteur, or block glitching shouldn't be able to grant access to a clan's items
    * Offline raiding is mostly impossible, people should be prevented from simply logging to prevent a raid in some way, but there shouldn't be the risk of just logging on to all of your things missing

Having to put a block on chests is an already tedious mechanic that doesn't really add depth, having to completely surround your chests is the same but with more space and more tedium.

With bigger base pstones and smaller farming ones, I'd much rather have bases be more permanent fixtures on the world, where being raided doesn't mean you have to relocate, just that you need to repair. Personally, I don't want coords to be this sacred thing, where once an enemy clan has them, a minor mistake could lead to complete loss of your items, which is what breakable chests would spell. The bigger the base, and bigger the clan, the more prone to mistakes that give access to a chest room a clan will be; if access to a chest room means loss of all items clans wont't want to have big bases that could lead to these failures, making the larger building pstones moot.

What may be interesting, and fit within the theme of a prison server is a "lockpicking" system, where chests inside pstones are considered locked, and enemies could temporarily unlock them by standing still near them for a certain amount of time, determined by the type of pstone, proximity of other players, size of clans, or any of a host of factors. Perhaps chest lock pstones could be added which protect a single double chest, are very expensive, and greatly increase the lockpick time. This would essentially be a miniaturized version of the attack/defend raids, and would provide players with an incentive to secure their chests, an avenue to defend a compromised chest room before damage could be done, and prevent players from having to tediously ensure that there is absolutely no way to enter their chest room each and every time they leave their base.

Tut likes this.
  6. Markillion

Markillion
    Based on what we've seen in the past it's been frustrating getting into a base and not being able to actually raid anything even if you wiped the whole clan and have total control of the base or at least the areas you were able to access.

With these changes it will allow for people to get the items that they have in chests around the area they managed to get into. Also with the new sizes of protection fields this will allow players to build more secure chest rooms and vaults to secure items better to mitigate that. The capturing would allow complete access to the whole base and access to those secure areas.

You're obviously gonna have to take that into consideration when you construct your base so assuming it's secure offline raiding shouldn't be an issue. Offline protections will be built in to the attack/defend system too.

These changes remove the point of putting a block on the chest - they wouldn't be able to click to open the chest they'd have to break the block to access the items. You'd obviously have to have your chest inside the base for it to be secure with this system. Should be less tedious then having to replace a block each time you open the chest

This is something that you'd have to take into account with your clan. Base locations wouldn't be a sacred thing more than they were in the past as long as your clan is able to build a secure structure. If you don't trust your clan to do that then create your own secure area within that clan base. The point is that there are game mechanics that the players decisions on both raiding and defending from raids with a system like this vs the hope that someone's PStones would expire so you can raid them.

We have plans for a larceny skill set in the future but that wouldn't be a part of this update.

chubbycurls likes this.
  7. Sly

Sly New Member

SlyCedix
    Ah, this is what I hadn't considered, protecting chests has always been a drag due to the space required for doing so, with blocks on top requiring an extra layer per line of chests, in an already limited space. I can see why larger areas give more freedom in this aspect, and [GBP] already has plans for our vaults.

8. kunal1234

kunal1234 Member

This might be an unpopular opinion but i don't think killion has the player base to sustain a raiding ecosystem. Most of the players now are more economy focussed and see PvP as a secondary objective. Raidable chests is a step in the wrong direction. Old systems were good enough what there needs to be is more gameplay elements that are competitive which require pvp.

Tarthus likes this.
  9. Br0

Br0 New Member

Br0
    Old systems are going to get boring quick like they always do. Same cycle as always, everyone gets loaded on gear and just hoards it with 0 chance of losing it. People eventually get bored.

Try new stuff and if it doesn't work perfect make changes, server isn't going to grow at all keeping every little thing the same. We'll keep getting the same result.

Philip and Starzeh like this.
  10. Deubs

Deubs New Member

deuber123
    I’ve read some of these replies, and it seems like everyone besides cartel and Dexterity wanna get to free and just sit and stare at each other with a bunch of money. The server would just die without being able to raid and stuff like that. I personally love the breakable chests and not just having a farming Minecraft server. I’m not here to play FarmVille

11. Philip

Philip New Member

I vouch for these changes raiding needs to be heavily encouraged and this is a great start. Pvp and raiding need to be a priority on the server for there to be good competition and make people have a reason to play and be able to actually lose things. Hoarding mass items and money is terrible for the server and without these changes people will do as they've done before and sit in their base and not fight and just hoard money for no actual purpose which makes people inevitably quit.

Sly and Starzeh like this.
  12. Sheeps (Ctob)

Sheeps (Ctob) Member

Sac
    Don't let these pigs horde everything, its gets boring.
    The Raiding Chest seems gas, I think a lot of people would come to the server if there were more PvP events maybe a KOTH in Free, could release a Vault that players/clans could fight over that could drop good loot, maybe unobtainable loot like a P4 Unbr 4 chestplate or a S5F2 with the Starzys Rose effect.
    I think PvP being very encouraged in the Free world is the only way this server will thrive.
    I also think changing certain things would benefit the servers growth like making anvils useable for all players, making spawners available in the k co shop along with buyable in-game for a very steep price.
    All pay to win games/servers die really quick.
    Let ya boy know what cha think.

Br0 likes this.
  13. Pega

Pega New Member

i love farming, we've made a lot of money :D

Sly likes this.
  14. kunal1234

kunal1234 Member

At this point why not just move to factions. The Factions system does raiding really well however the negative consequence is that these servers need resets quite quickly. Even though I don't care much for pvp I would think its a lot more fun if you have gear and are able to challenge every fight. My point is that there needs to be meaningful areas that people are interested in fighting over in order for pvp to flourish. Personally, my counter to someone raiding me is chilling inside my protected base till they leave. Ive never had an issue with this.

Gross generalization but id rather fight for something to gain rather than not fight because im scared my pstones will become raidable.

after reading this i think if we keep the chest protectors as currently available but see if theres a way to make chests openable even if there is a block over them so that people are limited to a certain number of protected chests forcing them to lose items may be a workaround

xForerunner likes this.
  15. Br0

Br0 New Member

Br0

Factions would never work on this server for multiple reasons. 1 main reason being that everyone on this server has multiple alt accounts so nobody would ever go raidable since all of them would be in the faction inflating the power/dtr. Your 1 point/"counter" is one of the main reasons the server becomes stale and people quit and never come back.

Honestly with your logic you should add an economy plugin to a single player world and just farm.

Nice.

Philip likes this.
  16. Philip

Philip New Member

This is exactly what's wrong with the current state of the server. Literally this is what needs to be stopped and prevented. This kind of play is the reason people quit playing because you make the server pointless by sitting in your base collecting money all day. Why don't you just log on a single player world and do it there if you wanna sit in your base all day? It's simply not fun what you do and it makes the server boring because you sit there and won't do anything.

Br0 likes this.
  17. Tut

Tut New Member

Tut_
    With this logic, you should be against players having any alt accounts on the server, yet it sounds like you aren't. Don't understand why Kunal's idea wouldn't work if alt accounts were banned, feel free to enlighten me.

kunal1234 likes this.
  18. kunal1234

kunal1234 Member

I mean the solution that mark proposed and you agreed with has the same flaw. I can load up my clan with alts and it will never become raidable as you will never manage to kill all my accounts. My counter to you is that you need to provide an incentive to PVP. If i suck at pvp why would i go out and fight if i know it means im going to lose all my shit.

My personal opinion is that the main reason Killion has died in the past has been due to a lack of consistent progress. Once you got citizen and created a town there was nothing left to do other than make money. Maybe a battle pass(a free component) style system every month where you get a series of challenges where you would get a title or something similar would address this issue(ive been playin a lot of destiny 2 recently which is where i got the idea from). Most of the long-time players of killion grind hard to reach the highest rank which is why i look at it more as an economy server than anything else.

This kind of thinking is idiotic why alienate a part of your playerbase. TBH the only thing ive seen is that most hardcore pvp clans leave the moment they no longer have the competition they want and move onto the next server. incentivise both and you will have a good server.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019
    Tut likes this.
  19. Markillion

Markillion
    Keep the suggestions on topic - you should start a thread anything unrelated to the OP otherwise your suggestions will get lost.

20. Ryan

Ryan Member

xChet
    seems pretty lit, #BreakThoseChests